Yachts.com operates a virtual shipyard that builds NFT yachts for buyers worldwide. Located on the blockchain, it uses crypto technology to provide digital boat ownership. For those who don't know, an NFT (non-fungible token) is an asset created using the same kind of programming as Bitcoin and Ethereum, but instead of acting as a currency it is usually held as a collectible.
Some recent NFT sales include:
- A bundle of Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs sold for $24.4 million at Sotheby's.
- Several CryptoPunks have sold for $5 million+.
- A collage of 5,000 artworks from Beeple sold for $69.3 million at Christie's.
- Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey sold an NFT version of his first tweet (also the first tweet ever on published on Twitter), for $2.9 million.
- A yacht in The Sandbox metaverse sold for $650,000
- World Wide Web creator Sir Tim Berners-Lee sold the original source code of the web in a Sotheby's auction at Sotheby's for $5.43 million.
- NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden sold a freedom related NFT artwork for $5.27 million (for charity).
- An NFT of the original Shiba Inu dogecoin meme sold for $4 million. Three months later, that same Dogecoin NFT is worth over $200 million because the owner sold it to thousands of investors via fractionalized ownership.
- ZED Run digital horses have sold for as high as $250,000.
- Musician Grimes sold her WarNymph collection of 10 digital artworks for $6 million.
Upcoming NFT Yacht Auctions
Limited Edition (100 total) "Crypto Mayflower":